31 August 2007

Matthew 7:16, “You will know them by their fruits.”

My good friend Dr. Ron Purser, a practicing Buddhist and insightful philosopher/writer from the University of California at San Francisco, sent me a letter he recieved in his email from the great environmental warrior "Al Gore" today, and I wanted to share this correspondence along with my following comments:

Here is Al Gores' letter:

"As you know, the Earth is moving closer to several negative "tipping points" that could -- within as little as 10 years -- make it virtually impossible for us to avoid irretrievable damage to the planet's habitability for human civilization. That is one of the reasons why it is urgent we take action as soon as possible. My friend Leonardo DiCaprio has just produced an amazing documentary on this subject. The film was created using over 150 hours of interviews with some of the brightest minds on the planet, including physicist Stephen Hawking and Nobel Prize winner Wangari Maathai. Moreover, Leo himself is very eloquent and persuasive in this movie. I recommend it highly. Through interviews and beautiful footage of the environment, The 11th Hour demonstrates how human beings have created the climate crisis and related environmental crises, and shows that we have the means to solve them. The 11th Hour is both a portrait of a planet and a source of hope and solutions. I hope that you will go to see this important film. You can find out if The 11th Hour is playing near you by visiting: http://11thhouraction.com/seethefilm <http://11thhouraction.com/seethefilm>

Thank you, Al Gore

My letter and remarks to Dr. Purser:

It doesn't take an Al Gore or Decaprio to sell me on man's tendency to deface the planet. All I have to do is look around me and I can clearly see that it is a total mess. Descelles, a brilliant writer at the Noetic Institute once described humans, "As those big-brained primates on a roll." My question is who are they "rolling" over--but themselves in the long tumble? However, on the up side, there are growing numbers of good people out there, like Al and yourself, that are conscious and energetic enough to try to clean up after them. I used to go down to the parks, streams and lakes and do just that, tossing out all the debris that was cluttering up the place. Why in Oklahoma I couldn't even go to one lake without first picking up all the crap that others left. And the lake was totally littered everywhere with every imaginable piece of rubbish. It's pathetic, but intellect doesn't really have much to do with intelligence.

One of my pet sayings is, "You can tell a lot about a person by their garbage." Another adage is, "Garbage in, garbage out!"

Let's face it, the first and primary cleaning must start with wholistic consciousness; it's the only do-able template. Once we implement that--everything that is worthwhile will follow its imprint.

Many blessings will surely follow good intent!

Nahu Lanham

No comments: